8.30.2007

Feel My Pain

I'm sick. I suffer from a disease called ibetterkeepthisincaseineeditlater. Perhaps you know someone with this disease, or suffer from it yourself. I think it is genetic. I experience flare-ups when near fabric and sewing notions. I believe my dad's flare-ups are brought on by building supplies. The symptoms are hoarding, bulging closets, sagging shelves and piles, boxes and bags filled with what-ifs. The disease often leads to over consumption of the items that cause flare-ups. This is what I look like during a severe case. Yes, the local paper caught me at the rummage sale during a recent bout of illness. I am working on a cure using a self medication technique called useitnowandbedonewithit.

Armed with my sewing machine, ironing board and Ginghers, I take small doses of my medicine. The side effects are completed projects, a sense of accomplishment and freed up storage space. You, lucky reader, can also experience a pleasant side effect from my medicine by posting a comment. I will send a completed project to one lucky commenter. The winner will be randomly selected Monday morning. Content of comment is not important. A simple "Hi, I feel your pain" or "I'm sorry you are sick" will suffice. So post a comment and come back Monday. You might just find yourself toting a handmade reusable grocery bag like the one below, which I made from vintage fabric and my husband's old sheets. Look out Envirosax, Molly's got a brand new bag. You know you want one.
The bias tape is from my neighbor's grandma. She used to have a sewing shop. It's a good thing the shop closed before I developed my disease. With the leftovers from my bags, I made this cute apron. I know you want one too, but I'm keeping it, incaseineeditlater.


My pain may be your gain. See you Monday.

26 comments:

  1. love the fabric, that bag and apron rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that same disorder.

    There's no cure, and it's hereditary - although the items that cause flare-ups vary from person to person.

    Mine happens to be worst when I'm around items made from mashed up plant pulp.

    I hear the only way for me to combat my particular form of this disorder is abstinence ;), as there's no sense of accomplishment. When I "finish" one, it only leaves me yearning for the next ... and the next ... and the next ;).

    So far everyone on my mother's side of the family has it to some degree. It can be really frustrating when one desires to decorate in that zen spartan style ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bag and apron are fabulous! I'm that way with kid toys and knitting/sewing stuff. My mother-in-law is that way about absolutely everything. It's all treasure in her eyes. So you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so funny! I love it, I think I have that same disease. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh ohh ohh! Metoo, metoo! I have that disease too! My flare-ups are caused by vintage sewing notions and old pyrex dishes.

    And by the way, I made that chocolate cake you posted about, and I am one of those non-chocolate lovers you talked about. I've been converted! I LICKED the saucepan clean after I made the frosting!! And I ate some for breakfast. And a snack before lunch. And a snack after lunch. And a bite before bedtime. What have you done to me?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and I forgot to say, LOVE the bag and apron. You've got me all loopy on chocolate, I forgot what I came here for! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whaaaat? The paper caught your illness on camera? That is awesome! Don't count me in your give-away, I'll just come over and help myself to a pint of your beer instead. Ha-ha - love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank your lucky stars you do not have a barn or a large attic. Some people (unidentified for now to protect the guilty*) have the disease worse than you. A simple drug addiction would probably cost less than your-ailment-plus-vast-storage-space.

    (*you know who you are)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the bag!

    My father and my husband have that disease. I have the OhcrapIthrewthatawayandreallyneededit disease.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup... I got the disease from my grandma Rose. I have SO much "stuff", Chinese dishes in my closet that i have NEVER used, craft boxes, Old magazines incase i feel the need to collage, and anything sentimintal from childhood on. I need to follow your antidote!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a disorder along the same line but it is a bit different. It is called keepitcauseyoumightandIrepeatmightdosomethingwithitlaterbutchancesareyouwon't

    So wantin' that bag!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i've got it bad too, lol, because i think everything is going to end up in one of my craft projects sooner or later or my daughter will have some use for it later on (she's 11 mos old)... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, maybe we can hang at the looney bin together !?! That bag is sah weeeeet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My dear sister, I feel your pain. This disease has hit our family hard for many a years and has plagued me personally as well. But please, be assured that it is not fatal. You might feel a slight sensation of claustrophobia, but your rememdy is a definite solution. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I am just visiting you here for the first time, having finally taken a journey through the homesteadin' unschoolers ring past the old familiars....It has been a gift just finding your blog, which I read far too long - I'm supposed to be on a journey through the ring after all. I love the bag as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey!
    i love that bag and the apron is just the coolest ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, I didn't know my disorder had a name. lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. So that's what it's called! I suffer from it too :)

    Awesome bag... I'm using reusable one's now too that they sell at the grocery store. They're so not as pretty though.

    I am so jealous of people that can sew... something I have tried but never managed to be any good at :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. holy cow!
    i have it too!
    accept mine is brought on by scrapbook supplies, vintage fabric, buttons, vintage books, stamps, rubons...hmmm...you got time b/c i could keep going on and on.

    its a sickness that i inherited from my mother.

    whew! think we should start a group?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stopped by the George and Molly thrift store today and picked up a nice piece of left over sheet rock. Was exactly what I needed to finish up a little project. Thanks for saving all those goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW Molly, what an awesome bag!! The blog is really great; I can't believe how grown the kids have gotten.
    I wish I had more time to sew....and to cook...and to read... and to..
    Cheers from Walla Walla

    ReplyDelete
  22. You certainly didn't get it from this grandma! But I'm glad you have it! You are so creative..just like your mother..looking forward to next week-end!

    ReplyDelete

Sewing Crafts

Archive

email: mollydunham@sbcglobal.net
Share |