3.31.2011

A Little Announcement

I've been sitting on an idea for a long time. Years in fact. And even though I wonder if my idea might still need some more time incubating, I've decided to let it hatch and see what happens.

It's a new website called Blarter. My husband came up with the name - it's a smash up of blog and barter. Two things I love to do.

Screen shot 2011-03-31 at 4.52.25 PM

The goal of Blarter is to encourage the trade of goods and services between bloggers, with a focus on handmade items, vintage goods, patterns, art and craft supplies, as well as services such as graphic design, photography, pattern testing, and product promotion.

Blarter hopes to connect people through barter arrangements. The exchange of goods and services without money requires coordination, communication, honesty, and often leads to a deeper connection between the people involved in the trade. Blarter is the place where these connections begin.

Many bloggers, including myself, have been bartering with other bloggers for years. I've exchanged an embroidered t-shirt for stationary, a box of California oranges for Vermont maple syrup, and just recently, I traded a crocheted garland for a fox.

Here are a few ways Blarter could help you find opportunities for barter arrangements:

Perhaps you've just opened an Etsy store and it's filled with all sorts of lovelies, and you just need a little help spreading the word about your new shop. You could post a free ad on Blarter offering a small item from your Etsy store in exchange for a month of advertising for your store on the recipient's blog.

Or maybe you have an abundance of glass beads, but not nearly enough cotton scraps for the quilt you'd like to make. Post an ad on Blarter and maybe you'll find someone with plenty of scraps who'd love your glass beads.

Do you have a stack of craft magazines you no longer need but can't bear to throw out? Post them on Blarter, and perhaps you'll get an offer from another blogger who wants to send you an original art print or photograph in exchange.

Posting to Blarter is easy and free. Once your post is up, anyone interested in a barter arrangement can contact you by email, and you can decide on the exchange that's right for you.

So hop over to Blarter and give it a look. Post something and see what happens. Spread the word if you feel inclined by linking to Blarter on your blog. I've even got some widgets for your sidebar. Blarter might be my pet project, but it's a community for all of us. I'd love you to be part of it!

56 comments:

  1. I think this is so awesome, Molly. It's going to be HUGE! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, you are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (i knew that already, of course, i just want to make sure YOU know that)

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. This is seriously the best idea ever! So exciting! Thank you. Now I just have to get organized a bit to shoot for some trades!
    _Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful Idea. I am sure it will be very successful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome! carpe diem, molly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds fantastic! Headed over there next for a look around =-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a nifty idea! i am going to check it out....

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great idea, good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful idea... off to take a peek :O)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a neat idea--I'll have to start thinking about what would be fun to trade.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is wonderful Molly! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. bravo my friend, again, bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a fabulous, inspired idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. so cool. I'm telling everyone I know.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is brilliant Molly!!! My friend Karie and I were thinking of doing the same thing within our local workermade group. I love the blog idea. I say go for it and where do I sign up?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea, Molly! I like the whole community idea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome idea! I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic concept! I can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE the idea and will definitely do it. When I've sold at arts fairs, I always try to do some trades with other artists.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brilliant idea! I love it! Heading to the website now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Genius...this is the best idea I've heard in a LONG time...good job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely idea! I don't know many 'handmade' people who don't love a good trade. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  24. And I love your quince header, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is an amazing idea! Like freecycle for Crafters and creators! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So cool! Congrats for having the courage to throw your idea out there. I can't wait to see how it takes off!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic idea Molly! This will be a HUGE success i know it! You are so creative, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  28. so stinkin' smart! I love this idea.
    love.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fabulous idea Molly. I'll check it out for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ingenious! I am just shaking my head at the brilliance of this idea. I'll be sure to share this.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just popped on through from Erin's blog, House on Hill Road, and I LOVE the idea. This is genius. I'm off to see if I have anything to barter...

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is awesome Molly - what a brillant idea. It's going to be a HUGE success . . .HUGE!! so excited to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. fantastic.
    what a great idea.
    good for you to implement it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. p.s. quote from my husband after i told him about blarter... "oh, is that the foothill lady? she seems cool. i'd like to meet her."

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a WONDERFUL idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fantastic idea! Can't wait to check it out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've never bartered for crafts but it's always something I have wondered about. I can't wait to see how this works out.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Good idea, but, um, some of us don't have, um, blogs.

    rosesmama

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a fantastic idea!
    I love that you had a great idea and went for it.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I am going to do this! my hub and i have been doing this just within our community for years, we trade goods and services all the time, what a great idea for blogging! i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  41. You are crazy wonderful, and a genius to boot!

    Off to post...

    ReplyDelete
  42. a.) what a great idea!
    b.) i LOVE that fox!
    c.) your husband is completely AWESOME for coming up with the best. name. EVEr!

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  43. How exciting. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a great idea (how original is that?)!!
    Best Wishes for success in your new venture!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. So I thought I left you a comment about this link and was checking back to read your thoughts (maybe) but my comment is gone. I'll repost just in case...It's an idea very similar to yours. Hope all is well.
    http://whoopdwhoop.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. this is the an ah-mazing idea! creative bloggers never cease to amaze me with their kindness and awesome ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  47. FABULOUS idea. I absolutely love this.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Great idea! This was on Craft Gossip this morning and I am so glad I came here! The only thing I would change on the Blarter site is the yellow text against the white background, it is really hard to see it.
    Thank you for creating the site!

    ReplyDelete

Sewing Crafts

Archive

email: mollydunham@sbcglobal.net
Share |