Back to the wood floors and fireplace. I had no idea how messy a fireplace would be, and how much time I'd spend sweeping the wood floor around the fireplace, and from the path between the wood pile and the fireplace. So out of necessity and materials on hand, a design was born.
A firewood carrier made from a burlap coffee sack. I've used mine for the past two winters, so I can vouch for it's function and durability. I use it every day during the cold months. Got a fireplace? Make one of these. Here's how:
1. Cut two large rectangular panels from burlap, 19 inches wide by 33 inches long. Cut two long rectangles for the handles, 5 inches wide by 20 to 22 inches long. You can also use heavy twill, denim, or decorator fabric for the carrier.
* Save your burlap scraps. I have a valentine project coming up soon!
2. Make two handles. Fold and press the long sides of the handles over 1/2 inch. Fold handles in half and sew about 1/8 inch from edge.
3. Place and pin the handles on carrier, one handle on each short side, sandwiched between the two rectangular panels (right sides of panels facing each other). Extend the handles beyond the edge of panels by one inch (for reinforcement in step 5).
4. Using a 1/2 inch seam allowance, sew all the way around the carrier, leaving a 10 inch opening along one of the long sides. Reinforce the stitching on handles by reverse stitching. Make sure to lock seams at beginning and end of stitching. Snip all four corners at a 45 degree angle, close to the seam.
5. Turn carrier right side out. Push corners out to a point with a turning tool (I use the bigger end of a chopstick). Press all seams flat, pressing the unstitched opening under 1/2 inch. Topstitch 1/8 inch from the edge all the way around the carrier, thereby stitching the opening closed. Reinforce the handles by sewing a small rectangle on the panel at the base of each handle.
You're now ready to fill your carrier with firewood and make a relatively clean trip from the wood pile to the fireplace! The carrier can be folded up and stored flat when not in use. Enjoy!
P.S. Time for a little shameless commerce. I have two extra carriers for sale. Email me if you're interested. Each carrier is $35.00, including shipping. Thanks!