A few years ago when we were trying to get our finances under control, my husband had a brilliant epiphany:
"Instead of making more money, why don't we spend less money?"
Such a simple, common sense equation, and of course it worked. We were able to make and achieve our financial goals, and better yet, define and improve our relationship with money. Since the equation worked so well when applied to our household budget, I have been trying to use the same equation to budget my time.
Not quite as easy. Of course I can't make more time, but I can spend less time on certain things, but the real challenge is - what do I cut? My instinct is to cut out chores. Who needs clean floors anyhow? Folded clothes? Way over-rated if you ask me, but not in my husband's book. He asked me what I was going to do with the next load of laundry now that all our laundry baskets are full. Haha. (Too bad we now spend less money, otherwise I could just go buy more.)
Today is one of those days when my to-do list seems insurmountable. I've trimmed the fat, checked a few things off, but I'm still wishing for friendly gnomes to show up and lend a hand. Blogging is certainly not on my to-do list, but since blogging helps me feel better, I'm squeezing it in. I'm going to momentarily shift my focus away from the things I have to do to a short list of things that make me happy.
* Avery found a bag of crochet hooks at the thrift store yesterday. 20 hooks for $1.39 makes mama a happy hooker.
* I painted my dining room and one wall in my living room. My plan is to do one wall a day. Just three days to go!
* Dinner is in the crockpot. A pork roast and a jar of green salsa. I'm looking forward to chile verde tacos tonight.
* I've gone running every night this week and am well on my way to establishing a healthy habit.
* I figured out how to download podcasts from The Moth onto my mp3 player. Good painting and running company.
* A trip to the beach is in my near future.
* Since our feathered friends started laying eggs last week, we've collected 21 eggs!
* Disc 4 of Season 2 of Mad Men just arrived in the mail. I know what I'm doing after running and putting children to bed tonight.
And just to top off the list of the things that make me happy, here's a little sampling of the color my children add to each and every day.
They certainly light up my life, even if they are currently fighting over the bucket of markers.
And now I'm off to clean bathroom #2 (no pun intended).