5.20.2011

If the World Were to End Tomorrow,

(as billboards up and down the freeway and middle aged men handing out fliers at community events proclaim,)


hops

I'd take my coffee outside, sit on the hammock, and watch the bees come and go while I sipped.

I'd comb through the strawberry bushes for bursts of red, and seek green pea pods among the twisting, sagging vines.

I'd look up in the trees for blushing cherries, bend a branch down to pluck one, and wish for more.

I'd make breakfast, clean a few dishes (but not all of them), and hang a load of laundry on the line.

I'd make a half hearted attempt to do some homeschooling with the kids, but settle for quiet reading time, taking my own book out to the hammock, disappearing into words for an hour or two.

I'd take a deep whiff of boiling malted grain wafting from the garage, and be glad my husband has so much vacation time.

I'd visit with neighbors, make a baby laugh and then cry (not on purpose, of course), and set up my childhood tee-pee for a little friend.

I'd rinse and boil the pinto beans which had been soaking on the kitchen windowsill overnight, filter some limoncello, and water the potatoes which are just starting to break the brown surface with a deep green that is almost black.

I'd feed my family dinner, sing along with the Beattles, and get ready for a baseball game.

I'd look forward to a few chapters of Jules Verne at bedtime, a full night's sleep, and coffee on the hammock tomorrow morning.

I wouldn't count on rapture, I wouldn't fear hell, and I wouldn't change a thing about today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

35 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't have said it better. Love that blue sky too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Molly. This is . . . I don't know how to describe it but it speaks to me. I think I want to print it out and keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Live each day in a meaningful way. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SophiefairMay 20, 2011

    This is so lovely, because it is so very true. Living everyday as if it were your last doesn't have to mean grandiose gestures. It really means living with integrity, in harmony with your inner self and your world.

    Thank you. I needed this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousMay 20, 2011

    and I thought all the craziness about the world ending was only around here in Seattle.

    Regardless, you live your life well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. I think every "last" day should be like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Living in this very moment...no matter what tomorrow holds. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't have said it better. Live each moment for the now is all we have for sure anyway. Thank you for sharing this beautiful thought.
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely post, thank you. I shall go away and think about this some more now.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a pretty perfect day to me.

    Beautiful post.
    Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was thinking about this as I was gardening yesterday too. I came to a similar conclusion. I am spending the day today (Saturday) at the park with friends and family for our child's soccer tournament. We will then be celebrating our youngest son's birthday. I am going shopping for the remainder of my needed plants for my garden and will be outdoors in nature. A very good day indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know when the rapture will happen, but I seriously doubt it is today, since the Bible says that "no one knows the hour or the day.". I have always hoped to live in such a way that being suddenly notified of my impending death or possibility of rapture :-) would not change much. Know what I mean?
    Wait, I think you do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. AnonymousMay 21, 2011

    amen :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. yes. live today, this moment, be present.
    leave fear at the door, and regrets by the side of the road (or wait, is that littering? :)

    anyway, i do believe, there in lies a rich and peaceful life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Molly. Following the disappearance (and presumed death) of our adored cat, I'm having a hard time coping. But reading this helps me focus on those amazing years we had together. I need that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. amen my friend. amen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I *LOVE* this...... so perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. perfect.
    your photos could not get any better. and then they do. you knock me out.
    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. well that would be a pretty fabulous last day.
    limoncello and beer are two of my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That sounds like the best day ever. All the simple things in life that bring so much pleasure! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. absolutely, molly. every day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So beautiful - simple and restorative like a big, deep breath.

    ReplyDelete
  24. rapture and redemption in every moment. we get to choose. so glad you're enjoying heaven here and now along with me. thank you for sharing. blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  25. AnonymousMay 25, 2011

    A perfect day! Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  26. AnonymousMay 25, 2011

    I'm glad at least one person went against the grain here. The Bible says the road to hell is wide and easy. The straight and narrow is much more challenging, but there is true joy in the journey. There may be temporary happiness in a bottle of beer. I guess I wouldn't know. I found my joy and happiness in knowing God and that's what makes all of life beautiful and worth living. This life, this earth is temporary, that's why I look forward to the rapture! I don't know about you, but I want out of this evil world. Your nonchalant attitude is typical, I think, but it disturbed me nontheless. LOVE your photos! They keep me coming back for
    more! They have inspired me to capture more of the beauty in the ordinary with my own little camera!

    ReplyDelete
  27. AnonymousMay 30, 2011

    I'm confused by the couple of somewhat nasty comments on this post. I would think that God would like for a one's last day to be spent enjoying our friends, family and world, not worrying or fearful. I find these comments disturbing.... and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amen! Thank you, kind, anonymous reader.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This post was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Sewing Crafts

Archive

email: mollydunham@sbcglobal.net
Share |