7.02.2010

A Recipe For a Long Weekend

It was three years ago this weekend that I came to understand the power of the blog to modify behavior and inspire action. I found myself standing in a very long line at the grocery store on the 4th of July, holding a pint each of half & half and whipping cream, and realized I was doing so because of a blog. It is not my normal behavior to run to the store for just one or two items, and certainly not like me to go to the store on a holiday, but when Stefani of Blue Yonder Ranch shared her recipe for mint ice cream, I was inspired to action.

I have a feeling that the recipe I'm about to share might inspire you to action as well. It's a perfect recipe to celebrate a long weekend, and if you go to the store today to get the ingredients, you can avoid those crazy long holiday lines and get a jump start on the infused rum. Yes, infused rum. Strawberry infused rum.

A few weeks back I made a batch of strawberry jam, and remembering my friend Sarah's post last summer about strawberry vinegar, I saved all the strawberry tops and marinated them in vinegar for a few days. The strawberry infused vinegar got me thinking, why not alcohol instead of vinegar? How about strawberry rum for strawberry daiquiris?

Then I saw this picture over on flickr and decided my daiquiri needed a twist - lemon and mint. Summer in a glass, with a kick.

mommy's strawberry slushie

Strawberry Infused Rum

tops of strawberries
rum

Fill a medium sized jar with strawberry tops and rum. Cover and let sit in refrigerator for 1-3 days. Filter the rum, discard the strawberry tops, and store the strawberry infused rum in the refrigerator (on the top shelf, away from kiddos - it looks a lot like Kool-Aid.)

Strawberry Lemon Mint Daiquiris

1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup strawberry infused rum
1 basket of strawberries
juice of 1 lemon
1 dozen mint leaves
ice

Mix sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar is dissolved to make a simple syrup. Put simple syrup, rum, strawberries, lemon juice and mint leaves in blender. Fill the blender with ice. Puree. Serve immediately or store in freezer. Scoop out desired servings and let thaw at room temperature until slushy.

Take strawberry daiquiri out to the hammock and enjoy.

hammock

Remember my not so subtle hint to my family a few months ago to bring me back a hammock from Mexico? My parents did not disappoint. Thanks Mom and Dad!

23 comments:

  1. i am so considering moving to auburn. just saying. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man that sounds good. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Goodness. Thank you for this. Really. You are the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That drink looks very yummy even though we don't do any liquor (too many bouts of alcohol poisoning for me as a wild teen and my husband has always been a teetotaler)
    Great hammock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy the hammock. Thanks also to your brother and sister-in-law for carrying it around PV. Happy belated anniversary!
    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg! does that look delicious! I can totally relate to the "i'm doing this because of a blog thing". that is too funny! you are lucky to have a hammock! how nice for you! I hope you get to use it a lot this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds delicious! Yes, I know just what you mean about going to great lengths for blogging. Have a wonderful holiday weekend!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. hammock life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds incredible! And yes, is definitely inspiring me to action. If only I didn't have to wait for the Rum to infuse, I'd be sitting here now with daiquiri in hand :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds incredible! And yes, is definitely inspiring me to action. If only I didn't have to wait for the Rum to infuse, I'd be sitting here now with daiquiri in hand :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. KatherineJuly 03, 2010

    That sounds amazing! For the infused rum, is it only the green leafy part of a strawberry top or do you include some fruit with the leafy portion? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. KatherineJuly 03, 2010

    OK, never mind; I clicked on the link for the strawberry vinegar and it's clear what a strawberry top is now ;) Enjoy your new hammock!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Darn, strawberry season just ended!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Slurp! That looks d'lish!

    I am making some strawberry vinegar as I type...I mean I made it earlier and it is doing it's thang :) Good to know you let them sit for a couple of days.

    I adore hammocks and yours looks very comfy, what a lovely present from your mom and dad and how wonderful that they notice your hints ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! And you're so right about the inspirational (and sometimes, marketing) power of blogs. Sometimes I find myself determined to track down a book or some other item, just because I've read about it on a blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so want a hammock. how wonderful of your parents to bless you like that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ha! i did the same thing this weekend! except i infused my strawberries in vodka, added it to lemonade and added a sprig of mint! so good! http://www.flickr.com/photos/mbbybrigid/4763500685/

    ReplyDelete
  18. ha! i did the same thing this weekend! except i infused my strawberries in vodka, added it to lemonade and added a sprig of mint! so good! http://www.flickr.com/photos/mbbybrigid/4763500685/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didn't get a chance to try this yet but will let you know when I do!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ahhh the magic of the hammock!

    ReplyDelete
  21. and a recipe for this super hot july day!
    wow! thanks for sharing! i'd need the hammock after. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just found your blog in a search for what to do with strawberries, and lucky me, I had all the items it required. So, I have made the rum. It's sitting in the fridge going to be made in to drinks tomorrow! Thanks for the recipe, sounds like it is a perfect one for summer!

    ReplyDelete

Sewing Crafts

Archive

email: mollydunham@sbcglobal.net
Share |