12.03.2010

Avery's Ruffle Scarf

We ran into Target the other day for Band-aids and Tylenol, and came home filled with inspiration.

Product Image Merona® Women's Artist Ruffle Tee - Polar Bear

The Artist Ruffle T-shirt. I wasn't in the least bit tempted to buy it as I couldn't really see myself wearing it. But I love how they created the ruffles. I pointed it out to Avery and the idea got her creative juices flowing. We went to the thrift store, bought a few 99 cent t-shirts, and she got to work.

Avery's Ruffle Scarf

Fast, easy, inexpensive. Just the kind of project I love!

making a ruffle scarf

To make your own Avery Ruffle Scarf, you'll need an extra large (or larger) t-shirt, scissors, circle template (we used a Mason jar lid), chalk, needle and thread. The scarf takes 30 to 60 minutes to make.

Cut a five inch wide band from the body of the t-shirt. You'll now have a very large loop. Cut the loop in half at one of the side seams to create the scarf.

Cut out 12 to 24 circles from the shirt. We used the sleeves to make the circles, which allowed us to cut two circles at a time. Fold the circles in half, then half again to create quarter circles with a rounded, ruffled edge.

Beginning at the bottom of the scarf, attach the circles, in rows of three, with a few stitches. Avery prefers less ruffle, so she only attached two rows. I prefer a little extra, so I did four rows of ruffle.

a few more scarves

I got a little carried away with her idea. She finished her scarf and moved on to other projects, but I just can't stop making Avery Ruffle Scarves! I've got two on the cutting table ready to sew, and two more t-shirts waiting to be cut.

Game for a giveaway? It has been a while, hasn't it? Ok. Leave a comment and I'll select two random winners to receive scarves. Leave some ideas for colors you'd like, and I'll try to round up some more 99 cent t-shirts.


avery's ruffle scarf

Drop us a line if you make a scarf of your own - I know Avery would love to see how her idea travels!

28 comments:

  1. Very cool! I aspire to be Avery. :-) And I would totally wear ruffles; probably would have been too tempted by that shirt at Target to resist.

    Red or blue would be terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. extra long and green, please :)
    (so nice to see you posting! and i love that we're neighbors at habit)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, now THAT is a neat way to embellish, and I wouldn't have thought to use t-shirts, very clever! I love jersey scarves- my favorite scarf in the world is a 1/4 yard piece of organic bamboo jersey I got out of the remnant bin at Joann's 2 years ago, it's so soft! Scarf colors...cream colored scarves are always so Wintry feeling, or a peacock green.... I'm going to be on the lookout for big t-shirts now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. perfect, I needed a scarf for a christmas gift exchange. I'll be making one of these for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea. I love your blog and am so glad you've started to post again.

    I'd love a rose colored scarf but any color would be so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a wonderful creation Avery! thanks for the opportunity to win! I'd be happy with any one of your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Molly,
    I have missed you!
    So happy to see you at Habit and here as well.
    Those Avery scarves are supah kewl and if I am so lucky to win one, I would love the striped one or something in black or blue.
    ~Dawn :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so into orange and reds and browns lately!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super fun! How I miss the Molly - Avery tutorials. The striped one was great. Thanks for sharing - hope the holiday season is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That crafty Avery!

    I was thinking about these after I read the post. And I thought, why doesn't the t-shirt fabric curl? So I came back and looked, and realized that it *does* curl, except at the bottom, where the ruffle holds it flat, so it flares out adorably. Cleverer than clever. And a little flamenco-ish.

    And I see those color-coordinated books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOOOH, you guys are just so creative. I would love to see one in a sunshine yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. my favorite is the grey and white stripe. So Clever!
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  13. very cool avery and mama!
    so lovely to see you here molly!
    loving the scarfs, yup i'm up for a giveaway certainly! i like gray or mustard or green... warmest wishes to you in this season xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. So very lovely! I think red would be gorgeous, but Nicole's mustard sounds tempting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a clever idea! Have missed reading your blog and hope you are getting the peace you seek.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Molly I love you and miss you. It's been so great to have a-few-minutes-encounters with you lately. I am in Salt Lake again all week, but I want to hang out when I get back! Party on the 18th too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. well, it's not every day one runs into Target and leaves full of inspiration! Your girl is amazing, and the scarves are super cute. I'd love to wear an Avery original. I'm partial to aqua blues and grays. (daring, I know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Christina H.December 10, 2010

    A truly easy -peasy idea. thanx.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are gorgeous! I would love blue or lavendar!
    Thanks, Karen
    lemontart5kb at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  20. My heart skipped a beat when your blog page opened and the header had changed - you'd popped in to say 'hi!'. I don't post comments often, but just wanted you to know, I really look forward to hearing from you! Glad you had a good Thanksgiving and love the embellishments!

    a-m x

    ReplyDelete
  21. How cool is that??? What a fun project and a nice giveaway. Blues and greens are my favorite colors. =D

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a super cute scarf! way to go avery.

    ReplyDelete
  23. love it! i'm not sure if the comments are still open for winners, but i wanted you to know how much i admire your jump-right-in crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very clever! I just pulled out a bunch of old shirts yesterday and was trying to think what to do with them. I wish I had a black Tee with White stripes. I am diggin' it in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So cute...I will be heading to Goodwill soon!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Here's mine! Blogged today! Thanks for the tute!
    http://maizehutton.blogspot.com/2010/12/new-scarf.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very cute! I love accessorizing with scarves - this look is very cute for spring and summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. So cute, love, love, love it!! I am good at copying (borrowing) other's ideas! But never have the awesome ideas myself!

    ReplyDelete

Sewing Crafts

Archive

email: mollydunham@sbcglobal.net
Share |