Ever wonder what homeschooling looks like in action? I thought I'd share just a glimpse of our day. This is it. Raw. With children flying and climbing and a completely unairbrushed (and unprepared to be captured) teacher.
1. Like most teachers, I'm sure, my feet get tired. I got smart the other day and decided to move a bar stool into the middle of our classroom (a.k.a. kitchen), pull out a drawer, and put my feet up. Like the ragged hem on my jeans? Yes, all my pants are too long.
2. Reading: the final Spiderwick book. We all enjoyed them. The books are much better than the movie. Just ask Avery. Her assignment today was to write a paragraph about why she liked the books better than the movie.
3. Aidan, not my most attentive student. He can't stay in his seat for long (unless he's working on math, in which case he'll sit for about ten pages worth - his choice). I have no idea what he's telling me in this picture, though by the look on my face, it must be something I find incredulous.
4. A cup of chai tea. Did I tell you I gave up coffee?
5. Another book to read after we finish Spiderwick. Probably historical fiction. Covering Social Studies with a novel is just our cup of chai tea.
6. Hair unbrushed. It's probably been in and out of a ponytail a dozen times already. Avery and Aidan probably have unbrushed hair, too.
7. Dirty dishes, including the blender which we use to make smoothies almost every day for our mid morning snack.
8. Avery on the counter. This is where she prefers to be.
9. Smudges on appliances. Why oh why did I choose stainless steel appliances? Perhaps for science we should take a swab of our smudge and grow it on a petri dish. Who knows what organisms are lurking on our appliances?
10. Whoops! There is no 10. But maybe you see a 10 somewhere. Care to share?
Thanks for visiting our one room schoolhouse!