12.19.2007

One Flickering Light

I love candlelight, but with little kids that love to blow out candles and dip their fingers in the wax, we don't often light candles around here. Recently, however, I have been inspired to light just one candle on the kitchen windowsill after dark. It all started when I beat the sun up one morning to discover a sink full of dirty dishes and a bag of garbage that should have gone out the night before. I didn't want to turn on a light and disturb the silent night, so I lit a candle, put the garbage out and set about washing dishes. Within minutes, the kitchen smelled like warm, spicy gumdrops thanks to my Victorian Christmas candle. And while my hands were immersed in hot, soapy water, I could almost imagine that I was taking a soak in the tub rather than scrubbing dirty dishes. Choretherapy. Light a candle, fill the sink and give it a try.

5 comments:

  1. This is a great idea...Calgon (or rather Palmolive) take me away...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do love a candle in the kitchen. And you just reminded me that I probably have some candles with scents of this season downstairs somewhere. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another love you inherited from your Mom! The Salt Lake Candles have become my favorite, nice advertisement. I need a trip to St. George to the outlet to get more. Candles are so soothing and relaxing. Dad just bought me a wick cutter, he got tired of trying to stick his hand in the jars to cut the wicks:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea. I may have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That made me laugh out loud. I (too) often have to use my imagination to transport myself . . . use whatever you can baby!

    ReplyDelete

Sewing Crafts

Archive

email: mollydunham@sbcglobal.net
Share |