1. I used to love to shop. In fact, my parents called me "Malory" for years (remember Justine Bateman from Family Ties?) I now hate to shop. Going into a department store or shopping mall causes me great anxiety. I only go grocery shopping every two weeks and try my hardest not to make incidental trips. No milk? That's why I buy instant oatmeal. Yet, I love to browse the local thrift stores on a fairly regular basis. I'm a regular at the three thrift stores within walking distance from home, and I almost get high from a good thrifty find.
2. My favorite movie is Grease. You better shape up, cause I need a man, and my heart is set on you ... Ooh ooh ooh.
3. I love movie soundtracks. I probably have close to thirty (but I don't have Grease - that soundtrack is permanently etched in my brain). Some of my favorite right now are Cold Mountain, Out of Africa, A Room With A View, and Something's Gotta Give. I haven't bought a CD in years, but if I bought one today, it would be the soundtrack to Casa De Los Babys (go listen to the samples).4. My favorite fruit is the mango. I didn't know I liked mangoes until about two years ago, and since then I have eaten mass quantities. I feel slightly guilty about this because mangoes must travel quite a distance to reach my belly, but every one's got their vice, and at least mine packs a huge vitamin and mineral punch.
5. I would love to become a better photographer, but I find it embarrassing to take photos in public. I can't explain exactly why, but it may be the whole tourist stereotype. Most of the pictures I take are in and around my home or in other non-public places. I am working on overcoming this hang up because I miss out on some wonderful photo opportunities. The other day, the kids and I were leaving the park and we saw an off-duty ambulance parked in the parking lot, and one of the paramedics was sitting in the back playing his guitar. I should have stopped and taken a picture. So today, at the local produce stand, I photographed the beautiful peach my daughter found.
6. I find it difficult to hang anything on my walls. I only have two things hanging in my whole house - a mirror over the fireplace and a small plaque in the kitchen. I have a gallery in the closet just waiting to be hung, but it is extremely hard to put a nail in the walls that we worked so hard to perfect. I have probably touched every square inch of every wall while remodeling our house - taping joints on the new sheet rock throughout the house, painstakingly smoothing all the texture that we sprayed on the sheet rock only to discover that I must have flat walls, and painting several times until we found the right shade of neutral. Putting a hole in the wall feels like putting a hole in a loved one. This is another hang up I must get over because my closets are bulging with framed art and photographs that should be admired and cherished on a daily basis, and my walls are pretty boring, despite being painted the perfect shade.
7. I met my husband at a ball and it was love at first sight. Sounds like a fairytale, right? It's actually more like a close-the-streets-and-drink-too-much-in-public annual event that occurs every September. In fact, some friends and I snuck into the ball around midnight a few weeks ago, and we did not turn into pumpkins. I love that we live within walking distance of the place we first met.
Do you feel like you know me a little better now? Thanks Julia for tagging me. I hadn't given myself a writing assignment today, and this was a fun exercise. I'm not going to actually tag anyone else, but if you need a writing assignment, feel free to share seven things about yourself so I can get to know you better too.